News Frontliner Web Desk, 14 February 2019: A shocking incident of terrorist attack early this morning at Awantipora in Pulwama district of Jammu & Kashmir that killed at least 40 CRPF men is partly due to failure in acting upon ‘Intelligence Inputs’, admitted Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik.
Giving his observation on the horrific incident, Malik said, “There was no intelligence failure because we had received inputs of a possible attack. But we failed to act upon it and take proper measure; there surely has been some kind of negligence. The fact that terrorists could bring such a big vehicle without being checked, has to be because of failure on our part.”
A suicide bomber used a Mahindra Scorpio laden with more than 350 kg of explosives to target a convoy of 78 vehicles ferrying 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel on the Srinagar-Jammu highway earlier in the day. The fact that, so many security personnel were being transported at one go from Jammu since 3:30 am, was because bad weather kept the Srinagar-Jammu highway shut for the last two days.
The bus that was hit by the explosive-laden Scorpio had 39 personnel. Bullet marks on the bus indicated that more terrorists may have fired at the convoy from nearby hiding after the explosion.
This is the worst terror attack to have taken place in Kashmir since the start of the century. On October 1, 2001, three terrorists rammed a Tata Sumo loaded with explosives into the main gate of the Jammu and Kashmir State Legislative Assembly complex in Srinagar, killing 38 people.
The fierceness of today’s terror strike has in every way exceeded even that of the Uri attack on September 2016, when four heavily armed terrorists targeted an army brigade headquarters, causing 19 deaths. The Indian army had however responded with a cross-border surgical strike in which several terror launch pads were destroyed.
Giving assurances of a swift and befitting retaliation the J&K governor said, “We will respond to this terror attack with all our might, and none of the individuals behind this incident will be spared. We promise to erase every trace of terrorism from this state.”
Official sources revealed that terror attack today was carried out by one Adil Ahmad Dar alias “Waqas Commando”. A resident of Kakapora, Adil joined Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed only last year.
Immediately after the incident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted by saying, “The attack on CRPF personnel in Pulwama is shameful. I strongly condemn this dastardly attack. The sacrifices of our brave security personnel shall not go in vain. The entire nation stands shoulder to shoulder with the families of the brave martyrs. May the injured recover quickly.”
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who will visit Srinagar tomorrow to review the ground situation, assured that a strong response will be given to the terror attack. “We completely understand our responsibilities and will take whatever action is necessary,” he told news agency.
The National Investigation Agency has been asked to probe the attack along with the Jammu and Kashmir Police.